Friday, August 6

Back in the Saddle again

Hello!

So sorry for the long absence, things have been a bit crazy! Packing, filling out forms, scheduling doctor's visits, visiting with friends and family, traveling and unpacking have kept us quite busy, not to mention the three little energy balls we have around here.

Hard to believe it has only been 2 weeks since we left Nicaragua...it already feels like a lifetime ago. We have slowly started adjusting to life here in the States (aka rush rush! and plan everything!) and the kids are doing great, praise God!

It's amazing how much you forget in only a year. Since we were here last year for Seb's birth, I didn't think there would be much shock. How wrong I was! We continually remind ourselves of American customs, so if we shake your hand twice or kiss you on the cheek, don't be too surprised! Old habits die hard. Also, if our english seems a bit choppy at times, perhaps you should try conversing with us in Spanish, sometimes we find it easier.

Below I've posted some random thoughts in my head these last few weeks.

- Look at all the white people!
- Look at all the shorts! (since shorts are fairly rare in Nicaragua, it seriously felt like everybody was running around nude)
- I feel so short.
- (As we rode in the car) The roads are so smooth here, I feel like I'm gliding on ice!
- Brrrrr, I'm chilly! hand me more blankets, please! (I could hardly stand the A.C. in the grocery store, I practically ran outside with the bags to get warm again)
- Wow, I had forgotten about dead animals on the side of the road (it's extremely rare to see road kill...although we did see a dead horse on the road once)
- so many electronic gadgets...everybody has GPS
- so many stores...are there really enough people with enough money to support all these stores?
- (while I shower) I remind myself not to waste too much water, so I shut if off while I shampoo my hair
- it's been 5 days and I haven't eaten any rice, yikes!
- why is everybody in such a rush?
- mmm...corn on the cob, peaches, applesauce, grilled steak...I think I'm in heaven!
- everything is so nice and neat
- I can't believe people don't lock everything up!
- Oh my! the food is so expensive
- LOVE the library, I'm so glad they don't have a limit on books to check out!
- Carpeting! Oh, how I love you!
- It's too quiet, I need my fan

The Kids are really enjoying the playgrounds here, they are so nice. Nicaragua does have a few playgrounds, but they are more like the playgrounds from the 70's...all metal and usually rusted away.



Seb has become quite the ham these past few weeks...he loves to smile for the camera!

2 comments:

Alan & Beth Claassen Thrush said...

Glad to hear that the transition back is going well...your observations about life in the US are great...I wonder what it will be like for us. We also can't wait for libraries!!! And what a great picture of Sebastian! Do keep in touch.
-Alan

Sarah Gingrich said...

Oh I can so identify with all of these thoughts!! Beyond feeling short, I also feel less beautiful in the States because guys aren't honking and looking me up and down, and whispering foul nothings at me. I start to wonder if I should change my hair or if I've gained weight!

I totally understand the language thing; it's hard to stop double translating in our heads, and sometimes there's a better word for something in Spanish!

Blessings as you adjust!