Wednesday, January 27

Poor ME!

The other night I complained on Facebook about how I was feeling. I wasn’t feeling very well. Not very well at all. It’s been 4 weeks. And it feels like I will never get better.

Later that night, as I was drifting off to sleep and ending my prayers, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Looking up, it was God. He gently reminded me that complaining was not something I should spend my time doing. Immediately, I remembered the verses:

In all things, give thanks.

Do all things without grumbling or complaining. (Boy, do I like to tell my kids this verse. But it’s hard being on the other side!)

Rejoice always; again I say, rejoice.

Now why do you think the author of that verse said it twice? Because we may not have really read it the first time, we may have just glossed right over it? Because it was SO important?

Steve and I have some sermons on tape and CD that we listen to fairly frequently. And what do you know, the one we had just listened to that night was about rejoicing! It talked about especially rejoicing in the hard times, about how rejoicing is a spiritual weapon that doesn’t give Satan a foothold for self-pity, or envy, or even pride.

And what do I really have to complain about? I have an amazing, loving husband. Three beautiful boys. Food and clothing and shelter. And the God of the universe loves ME. He loves ME just the way I am.

I remembered the little children that had come to my door that day, dirty, with torn clothing…and so young. Some as young as Nathaniel. Roaming the streets by themselves, surviving any way they can. Asking ME for some food, water, anything.

I thought of the children in Africa, orphaned or dying from AIDS.

The earthquake in Haiti.

The war in Afghanistan.

The starving in North Korea.

The persecuted church in Indonesia and China.

The drug-violence in Mexico.

The millions of girls and women in Southeast Asia who are sex slaves.

And the millions around the world who are starved for hope and slaves to alcohol and drugs.

And here I am complaining. I felt ashamed. The next time I tell my boys to do All things without complaining, I will also remind myself.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.” Philippians 4:6