Monday, June 28

Spiritual Warfare- Real or just a good imagination?

Whoa! What a scary topic. Definitely something for the charismatic church. You don't hear about it too much in the conservative churches. Some Christians don't even believe much in demons, spiritual warfare, all that hocus-pocus stuff. Seems too New-Agish.

Why is it that this topic is hardly discussed in the average church today? Do we fear the obsession that may come? Do we fear our own ignorance? There are so few people that openly discuss this topic, even fewer that greatly understand it.

But when you start having visions, dreams, or open visions, when demons start attacking you in your sleep, during the day when you're eyes are wide open,WELL...things start to look a little differently. It's hard to kid yourself that this stuff isn't real. I've been feeling like it's time to come out of the hole. To not ignore this gift that God has given me. What is the use of a talent if it is only put in the ground and buried?

I've had two very interesting nights, last night and the one before. It's been a while. A while since I've had a spiritual dream, or vision, or whatever you want to call them. A while since I've seen either an angel or demon. God always seems to know how much I can handle, and to be honest, I've had my plate full. He always knows when I need a rest from all the spiritual battles, and He covers me. Protects me. But I'll talk about all that in another blog. Honestly, I didn't grow up charismatic. I grew up in a church that NEVER talked about this stuff. And no one ever talked about it with me. Most of what I know is from...experience. Since childhood. But like I said, that's for another blog.

But I felt like it was time to head back into the battle. I felt ready to fight again, and was talking to God about that last week. So I guess you could say that I asked for it :)

Saturday night's dream felt so real, I don't think it was a dream. I've started to realize this past year that what I thought were dreams, were in fact, open visions. They were real...but that's for another blog and time.

I felt restless. It has been a tiring month. We've had 26 straight days of sickness, of vomiting, colds, fevers, diarrhea, you name it. There was an entire week in which we were ALL sick. All 5 of us. In the middle of all that, we moved. Physically speaking, it's been a long month.

But this was different. I could feel in my spirit that something was happening in the spirit realm. I finally drifted to sleep, after praying for a few hours. Suddenly, I was in the hallway of the house.

And I saw Satan walking in front of me. He was peering into the rooms, and when he came into our room, I saw him whispering. Whispering words of defeat, of wrath, of bitterness, of resentment and pride. Thoughts that had flitted into my brain only hours before. Slowly he moved on to my sons' room and did the same thing.

I saw him with such clarity and I suddenly realized that I wasn't afraid. This may not mean much to you, but to ME, this was amazing. I've had quite a few dreams throughout the years, with demons and with Satan in them, and I've always struggled against fear. They always appeared so menacing, so dark and full of power, evil power. There were times I would wake up shaking from the fear.

But it seemed that I saw him as he was. I couldn't believe that I had been afraid of him for so many years. But I also realized that this is somebody who tries to poison our minds against our spouses, our families and our friends. Even against our enemies. And instead of realizing who the true enemy is, we point our fingers and carelessly toss injurious words at each other, spewing forth venom, HIS venom, not realizing the whole time that behind the stage there is the real enemy.

Has it ever occurred to you that the thoughts going through your head may not be from you? Are you aware that Satan can talk to you, but so subtly that you think it is YOUR thoughts? Are your thoughts full of guilt, shame, bitterness, condemnation, hatred? This is exactly what Satan wants you to think about. Do you think this is God talking to you? NEVER. The Holy Spirit convicts, but Paul states clearly, There is therefore now no condemnation in Christ Jesus.

He doesn't want you to reconcile with your spouse, or love your children, or extend peace to a neighbor. He wants you out of the way, down for the count. And one of his best attacks is through the mind.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that every single bad thought we have is from Satan. We certainly don't help ourselves. But I think we take too much of the credit sometimes.

Last night's dream was so real, I can still feel my heart racing when I think of it. I had just fallen asleep, restless again. I went to bed praying. Suddenly, I felt a large body land on our bed. The bed shook from the weight. I shot up out of bed, certain we were being robbed. After a minute, my heart still pounding, I heard nothing. I then thought that it was perhaps one of the kids who had come over, perhaps all 3 of them, from the way the bed had shaken. I waited to hear a little boy voice ask to come sleep with us, but still, nothing. The silence was deafening. I knew somebody, or something, was in that room. The shaking of the bed had woken me from a dead sleep. I could tell there was a demon in that room, trying to bring a spirit of fear onto me.

And how did Jesus spar with Satan? Quoting Scripture. I still think that is one of the best ways to fight Satan and his demons. I spoke Timothy aloud,

For he has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of self-control.

And after a couple hours of quoting Scripture and praying, I fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.

The truth is, we are at war. Whether you want to believe it or not, there is an enemy prowling around, learning your weaknesses and doing his best to take you out. Whether it's through ignorance, apathy, loneliness or the use of other people, he will try his best.

So I'm keeping my Bible close, and talking to God...a LOT. And if you're interested in getting off the sidelines and joining the battle, I suggest you do the same.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in heavenly places.

1 comment:

Sarah Gingrich said...

AMEN! Fighting along with you, Colleen! I too have been attacked, once before the mission field, and here in Chile. I have had two visions which I'd love to share with you when we are next together...things like that are hard to make sense without hand motions! ha! Primarily God speaks to me through the "still small voice", but dreams, visions, and leading me to scriptures are all part of my relationship with Him. One of our most powerful Bible studies with our rowing youth was when we affirmed the spiritual battle raging around us; it was like they were suddenly released to share what they thought before we wouldn't believe; things that happened in their home, demons attacking them. Father, keep us awake!