Tuesday, October 18

I am ME

I am me and you are YOU.


God created me to be....me.  He did not create me to be just like Mary, or Sue, or Jane. 


He does not expect me to be somebody I am not.


How often I have admired other women, for their creative energies, domestic diva prowess, baking abilities, wise character, and so forth.  I am blessed to know a host of beautiful women, both inside and out.  And how quickly that admiration has turned into self-condemnation, the voices asking me, taunting me, Why am I not like that?  


Why cannot I be more like them? 


Have more energy?


Be more organized?


Be more spontaneous?


Cook gourmet meals?


Speak more words of wisdom?


Laugh more?


Need less sleep?


Be more creative?


Be more time-efficient?


Be more extroverted?


Spend more time with God?


Not be stressed with only 3 children?


and on, and on, it goes.....there is no end to the introspection.  There never will be, if truth be told, because I am a truly flawed and imperfect person, whom God loves, and has loved, since the beginning of time.




"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
~ Romans 5:8

Meditate on that for a moment.

God loved me, before I started trying to be good, before I even knew that I was a sinner.  He loved me, loves me still, with ALL my faults.

If God can accept me as I am, loving me fully, can I not accept myself, and love myself for who He has made me?

I am NOT stating that we should never strive to be better, to become more like Him. Indeed, while He loves us as we are, He encourages us to be holy, as He is holy.  However, self-condemnation will never get us closer to Him. It only alienates us, from Him and from others.

There is a difference between striving to be more like God because we are in a relationship with Him and viewing others' gifts as an excuse to beat ourselves up.  God asks that we look to HIM, not others, as our example.  He needs to be our model.  

Remember, other people are not as flawless as you might think *wink, wink*

No comments: