Friday, August 1

GOD AND THE MOUNTAINS

Because all of our work in deep in the mountains, I have a lot of time to think and appreciate the beauty that surrounds us. As we drove to a community the other day, I looked and saw the mountain ranges, but their top halves were covered in clouds (pretty normal during the rainy season). I thought, How interesting, if I hadn’t been here in the dry season, I wouldn’t really know what is hiding behind all those clouds and really appreciate the splendor of the mountains. Then it struck me, the parallel with God and how we view Him. So many times, we see God, but only a part of Him. We are too busy with our own lives to notice Him, or distrust Him because we feel let down, or just don’t really care about Him. And because we only see a part of Him, sometimes barely at all, we are not amazed and are often disappointed because He doesn’t live up to our expectations. But no matter how we feel, God is still there, in all His power and majesty. When the clouds of disappointment, doubt, guilt and apathy clear, if only for a brief moment, we get a glimpse of just how awesome God is, and how great His power and love is for us. I was reminded that no matter how I feel about God, sometimes up, sometimes down, it does not change the truth: That He is always there for us and will never forsake us, and I need to remember that. We can rest in His peace.

No comments: