Monday, April 5

Candy Land - the other side


It’s always interesting playing board games with my boys. I played these games growing up, but I only had one sister, and we generally stayed within the confines of the rules. But my boys bring a whole other element to these games.

For example, take Candy Land.

Half the fun of Candy Land is that while you are waiting for your turn, your piece gets to shoot all the other pieces, performing daring stunts and flying through the air, complete with the sound effects of guns and bombs. We almost never manage to make it to the end without coming to an all out wrestling tournament between the pieces, which quickly escalates to my boys ending up on the floor, wrestling and playing.

I’m thinking of patenting this version of Candy Land. I think it would be a big hit! It would include helicopters, tanks and army boats. The pieces would try to get to Candy Land without stepping on land mines or being shot by enemy fire. I know for sure that my boys would love it.

They love anything with guns, even though we don’t have any guns in the house or allow them to watch violent movies. One day, I decided to count how many times they turned ordinary house items, such as utensils, pencils, umbrellas, etc. into guns, of their own accord. Before the end of the day, I had counted to 20 and decided to stop there! It just seems to be a boy thing.

3 comments:

Alan & Beth McManus said...

sorry, Colleen...I don't think this is normal about the guns and boys. frankly, i suspect Steve is tutoring them on these on the side when you're not looking. (ha-ha...j/k) :-)

Colleen said...

Yeah, Steve says he's a peace-loving Mennonite, but I think that's just a ruse :)

Sarah Gingrich said...

Oh our kids will get along great with yours!!! Ha!