Wednesday, February 23

What does it mean, exactly?


I've been pondering Jesus' discourse, found in both Matthew and Luke, where he talks about not worrying, and how His Father takes care of the birds, even though they don't save or store up for themselves, and how the Father already knows what we need.

Like food, and clothing. The basics of life.

But that we shouldn't worry about those things, but should FIRST, seek His kingdom.

What does that mean, exactly?

And why doesn't he spell it out? I mean, could Jesus be any more evasive?

Maybe, just maybe, because it looks differently for everybody.

Following His kingdom doesn't mean we all go to some poor country in Africa, live in mud huts and slap at mosquitoes.

Time and time again, as I seek God for answers and struggle with impatience, I hear His voice.

Trust in ME. Follow ME. One step at a time.

If He gave us all the answers, we wouldn't need to trust Him, would we?

If He spelled it all out, why would we need Him?

And truth be told, if we actually saw our lives, all laid out before us, some of us might be tempted to run away, screaming, and refuse to come out from under the covers.

Because for some of us, our lives involve pain. A lot of it. And who would willingly offer to suffer?

He leads us, one step at a time, asking us to place all of our trust in Him, and in nothing else.

Not ourselves.

Not our friends.

Not our church.

Not our bank account.

Not our influence or popularity.

Only HIM.

And so I go down on my knees, once again, and ask Him to show me what His kingdom looks like, for me, and to give me the faith and strength to follow Him.