Monday, February 15

Valentine's Day Dinner


Since this was our last Valentine's Day here in Nicaragua, I wanted to do something special for Roberto's family.

I planned a full course meal for Saturday night and hoped to take care of the kids so the adults could enjoy a meal in relative peace and quiet.

The menu for the party was a cream cheese fruit and nut spread with sesame seed crackers, accompanied by a hot and creamy fruit punch (from MCC's cookbook, Extending the Table), followed by a tropical fruit salad, then the main course of chicken cordon bleu (my first try...rolling chicken breasts are harder than I thought!) with wild rice (from Canada, the Obijiwan tribe) and a lovely broccoli salad with a home-made mustard vinaigrette. For dessert, I made cupcakes and planned on topping them with whipped cream, but the cream just would not thicken :( But everybody seemed to enjoy the cupcakes anyways.


I planned to do this all in one shot, on Saturday. I got up early Saturday morning and started off with baking a cake for a birthday party the next day. Details coming in my next blog. After that, the day flew by, and at 4:30 I showered and it was time to head over to Roberto's house for the final touches!

I bought some used candle holders at a used American stuff store, and a nice plastic tablecloth (beautiful AND easy to clean, a lovely mix of romantic and practical). Abby, her mom and Jacqueline helped with the last minute details and passing out of the food. Candida gives Sebastian "his" valentine's supper, mashed papaya.


Since Nicaraguans generally don't eat much for supper, this was a LOT of food. So after the appetizers, we played a game of, How Well do you know your Spouse? Itwas fun and I learned a few things about people. Below, Abby reading off the answers to the game.



Everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I was glad to have been able to do this for them.

No comments: