Thursday, May 20

La Lluvia

As I contemplate my words, I'm listening to the sounds of a downpour on our roof.....that is a sound I will truly miss.  Rain on a tin roof.  It is INCREDIBLY loud.  So loud, at times, that you cannot even hear yourself think, or talk.  Or your hubby talk.  Or your kids scream. 

It was disconcerting, at first. 

The sheer noise...it sounds like a pumped-up waterfall noise machine.  But it is absolutely amazing to fall asleep to.  And with the rain comes the cool weather...ahhh.  I've had to dig through my closet to find my t-shirts and long sleeve t-shirts. 

But the rain ALSO brings water...water into our kitchen.  Here you can see our little patio, where we hang our clothes, and where the rain falls down into.  The trouble is, when it rains here, it POURS.  It never just sprinkles...it's all or nothing here.  And if it pours long enough, our little drain spouting just can't handle the volume of it all.  So it comes up, down the hallway, and drops down into our kitchen.

And this is where we get to work.  Like a lot of Nicaraguan homes, our kitchen has a drain (most rooms that have a remote possibility of flooding have some sort of drain built into the floor).  It's hard to tell in the picture, but Steve is standing in an inch of water, furiously trying to direct the water towards the small hole next to our oven.

No comments: