Monday, April 4

Women's Encounter

I enjoyed an amazing women's encounter (a.k.a. retreat) this past weekend, at a church we had previously attended.  I haven't been to a conference in years, literally.  There had been a season where my hubby and I went to lots of conferences, and were really blessed.  Then we slowly grew out of that and went on to other things.

But when I received the postcard for this conference, time and time again, I really felt God calling me to go.  So, I went.  Of course, I argued with God first.  But I am slowly starting to realize that when God says to do something, you do it.  No matter how weird or strange or unbelievable it seems.  The bible is full of people doing things that, to the human eye, seem ridiculous or crazy.  Don't believe me?  Just open your Bible and read for a while.  It won't take long, trust me.

The main speaker was somebody really famous, and I had certain expectations.  I thought that she would say something life changing and I would go home a different person.  While she said many encouraging things and I was blessed, the highlight of my weekend was not the words that came out of the speakers mouth, but what God shared with me in the middle of it all.

While the worship band led on in praise and worship songs (which were good, by the way), God brought the story of the prodigal son to my mind.  Now, the topics of the sessions had nothing to do with this parable, or this theme.  So I thought, how strange, to be thinking of this particular story.

I remembered how the prodigal son had come home, after wasting his inheritance on foolish things, and his father had welcomed him with open arms.  They feasted and celebrated.  But not everybody in the house was celebrating.  The older son went outside to sulk.

The father goes out to talk to the older son and ask what is wrong.  The older son replies bitterly, All these years I have served you and never asked you for anything, and yet you have never celebrated over me like you do my foolish younger brother!  And the father replies, Son, everything I have is yours.  You only need to ask.


And in that instant, I heard God say, all these years you have served me, and you have never asked for anything.  Ask me, and I will give it to you.


Lately, I have been mulling over my journey of emotional healing, wondering if I would always carry these scars in my heart and spirit, or would it be possible to have a completely new spirit?  Would I always walk with a "limp", like Jacob did after he wrestled with the angel?  I wanted to believe so badly that it would not be so, but feeling like it was impossible to be otherwise.  I had one counselor tell me it would take years and years of therapy to work through everything I've been through. How depressing!

When God said this to me, I knew He was talking about my healing.  I have never asked him for a "fast" or "supernatural" healing.  But now, I am claiming His word to me. So yes, it was a very good weekend.

No comments: