Monday, March 28

Here vs. There

Some more random thoughts about "re-entering"....

I still chuckle when I go shopping and see oranges...bright, intensely orange-colored oranges.  They look so fake, I wondered the first few times I saw them if they were real.

I still boil my water to clean my super-greasy cake decorating items.  This habit I can't seem to break.

Once in a while I still throw the toilet paper in the trash, instead of the toilet.

I no longer hesitate and wonder how many diarrhea-producing germs I am looking at when I drink water out of the faucet.

When at a parking lot, I have reduced my staring to less than 2 seconds when I see a car running, or with it's windows down, or unlocked.  The first few months I had to literally hold myself back from running into the store and screaming for the person who left their car in such an unsafe position.  Did they really want it stolen?  I usually just stood there and gaped for a good 10 seconds. So my 2 seconds is definitely better.

I no longer think about covering up open buckets of water.  There are so few mosquitoes here to reproduce.  

It feels strange to have the sun going down and up in always changing times.  The timing only changed about 1/2 an hour, over the course of the year.

When entering a house, I still have to restrain myself from going around and shaking everybody's hands.

I still drop by people's houses, unannounced.

When having people over, I still don't "remember" to clean first or have the house totally immaculate. It is not until after they leave that I remember Americans usually put a lot of stock in having a super clean house before  inviting guests over, and wonder if my guests were offended.

Steve has stopped beeping at every moving thing on the road, when driving.

Stuff is so much cheaper here!!

Stuff is so much more expensive here!!

Yes, it's a strange feeling, being caught between two worlds.

2 comments:

Judah said...

True, true. I got a kick outta this post. American can seem so naive, lol XD. It's a different world. Not thinking about their water or plugging up the toilet. I still always think about doing that, jeje. And the oranges! So weird. Sure they look prettier, they are easier to peel and the don't even have seeds!!!! but they don't taste any better.

Colleen said...

so true about the fruit!! The oranges and bananas taste way better in Nicaragua. I'm always disappointed when I buy them here. But I am loving the strawberries and grapes!